Septembre 2019 : Chiffres et évolution du marché bio
Category : Market information: figures and trends
Published on 10/09/2019
The French market for organic products jumped 15.7% in 2018 to reach €9.7 billion. It now represents 5% of food consumption in France. The French spend an average of €136 /year/person.
GROWTH IN SALES OF ORGANIC PRODUCTS BY DISTRIBUTION CIRCUIT SINCE 2011
Specialised organic distribution
Supermarkets and hypermarkets
*Purchases excl. taxes evaluated after survey of suppliers and buyers: since 2014 for commercial catering and since 2009 for catering.
. Retail 49%
. Specialised networks: 34%
. Direct sale: 12%
. Artisans and stores: 5%
While fruits and vegetables are still the most consumed family of products (78% of French people consume them), animal products are growing more than in previous years. Sales in the meat department are growing (+21%) – in particular, pork (+33%) and poultry (+22%).
BREAKDOWN OF PURCHASES BY HOUSEHOLDS BY ORGANIC PRODUCT FAMILY IN 2018
Fresh fruit and vegetables
Seafood, Delicatessen, Frozen
- France is the 2nd European market for organic products, just behind Germany (€10.3 billion in 2018), and far ahead of Italy (€3.6 billion).
- The global market for organic products reached $95 billion in 2017, according to IFOAM (+18.7%). The country where organic products have the highest market share is Denmark (€1.6 billion market, +31%): 13.3%
- 69% of organic products consumed in France are produced in France – 99% of wines and other alcoholic beverages, 99% of eggs, 97% of milk and dairy products, and almost 95% of fresh and processed meat. The organic products that are most likely to be imported are seafood, soft drinks, fruits, and groceries.
- According to Nielsen, the average range of an organic hypermarket was 1,878 products in 2018 – 492 more than in 2017. There were 223 additional organic products in supermarkets, 89 in convenience stores, and 31 in drive-through.
- The organic fresh fruit compote market reached €5m (+24.8%)
- The organic meat market is up 27.2% to €463m
o Beef: €242 million (+22.8%)
o Poultry: €138 million (+30.2%)
o Pork: €64m (+454%)
o Lamb: €19 million (+11.8%) ...
- The self-service organic catering market reached €154.6 million (+37.2%)
- The global market for organic snacks is estimated at $9 million and, according to Research and Markets, it is expected to nearly triple to $24 million by 2025, a YOY increase of 14%. Online sales are driving growth. They already accounted for 15% of the market in 2017 and are expected to grow by 15.9%
- Purchases of organic products in the catering sector jumped from €452 million excl. taxes in 2017 to €555 million excl. taxes in 2018 (source: Agence Bio).
o Mass catering: €319 million (+27%)
o Commercial catering €239 million (+14.5%)